Renewing a driving license in Dubai involves several steps and procedures. Here is an overview of the process:
- Eligibility: To renew your driving license in Dubai, you must meet certain eligibility criteria. This includes having a valid residence visa in Dubai and ensuring that your existing driving license has not expired for more than one year.
- Eye Test: Before initiating the renewal process, you need to undergo an eye test at an authorized optical center or optician. The test determines your visual acuity and ensures that you meet the required standards for driving.
- Documentation: Prepare the necessary documents for renewal, which typically include:
- Original Emirates ID card
- Valid residency visa in Dubai
- Current driving license (original and copy)
- Passport (original and copy)
- Recent passport-sized photographs
- Application Submission: Once you have the required documents, you can visit any RTA Customer Happiness Center or service provider authorized by the RTA to submit your application for renewal. Fill out the application form, provide the necessary documents, and pay the applicable fees.
- Eye Test Result Submission: After submitting your application, you need to provide the eye test result to the RTA. The optical center or optician will issue a certificate with your test results, which you must submit within a specific timeframe (usually within three months).
- License Renewal: Once your application is processed and approved, you can collect your renewed driving license from the designated RTA center or through an approved courier service. The new license will have an updated validity period.
It’s worth noting that the renewal process may differ slightly for different license categories, such as light vehicle, heavy vehicle, motorcycle, etc. Additionally, it’s always advisable to check the RTA website or contact their customer service helpline for the most up-to-date information on the renewal process and any specific requirements.
Remember to initiate the renewal process before your current driving license expires to avoid any penalties or driving without a valid license.
To initiate the process of renewing your driver’s license in Dubai, you need to ensure you have the necessary documents. Here are the details:
- Age Requirement: If you are younger than 21 years old, you must present a valid original identity document issued by the Emirates.
- Age 21 and Above: Applicants who are 21 years of age or older need to present an authentic Emirates identity document. Additionally, they are required to undergo an eye exam, the specific details of which are determined by the license category they are applying for.
- Validity Period: The renewed driver’s license is typically valid for a period of five years for residents and other nationals of the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC).
- Provisional Driver’s License: Residents who are under the age of 21 have the option to apply for a provisional driver’s license, which allows them to drive under certain conditions and restrictions.
- Learner’s Permit: To become eligible for a driving test, you must hold a learner’s permit for a minimum period of six months.
It’s important to note that the renewal process and requirements may be subject to change, so it’s advisable to check the latest information and guidelines provided by the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) or visit their website for specific details related to your situation.
Remember to bring all the necessary documents, including your original identity document, when applying for the renewal of your driver’s license.
To keep your driver’s license current, it is important to follow the renewal process in Dubai. Here are the key points to consider:
- Expiration Date: You can only renew your driver’s license in Dubai after it has reached its expiration date. It is essential to check the expiry date of your license and initiate the renewal process accordingly.
- Early Renewal: In some cases, you may be eligible to renew your license before it expires. If you choose to do so, you will need to submit an application for a re-examination well in advance of the expiration date. This allows you to renew your license without any gaps in validity.
- Validity Period: The validity period for driver’s licenses in Dubai depends on the age category of the license holder. The regulations differ as follows:
- Individuals below the age of 18 years need to renew their licenses every three years.
- Individuals above the age of 18 years need to renew their licenses every five years.
Ensuring that you renew your driver’s license within the specified timeframe is crucial to avoid any legal issues or penalties. Stay aware of the expiration date and initiate the renewal process as required to keep your license valid.
When renewing your driver’s license in Dubai, undergoing an eye exam is indeed a part of the process. Here’s how the eye exam and subsequent steps are typically carried out:
- Eye Exam Requirement: As part of the renewal process, you will be required to undergo an eye exam. The purpose of this exam is to assess your visual acuity and ensure that your eyesight meets the required standards for safe driving.
- Authorized Optical Shop: Visit an authorized optical shop or optician approved by the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) to undergo the eye exam. These optical shops have the necessary equipment and expertise to conduct the examination accurately.
- Eye Exam Procedure: During the eye exam, the optician will assess your vision using various tests. These may include reading letters or symbols on an eye chart, checking for color blindness, peripheral vision assessment, and other relevant tests to determine the overall health and quality of your vision.
- Modification of Information: Once the eye exam is completed, the optical shop will update your individual information, including the eye exam results, within the RTA software or database. This modification ensures that your updated eye test information is recorded and linked to your driver’s license renewal application.
- Proceeding to the Subsequent Stage: After the eye exam and modification of information, you can proceed with the remaining steps of the driver’s license renewal process. This typically involves submitting the necessary documents, paying the required fees, and completing any additional formalities as per the specific renewal procedure outlined by the RTA.
Remember, it is essential to pass the eye exam and meet the required visual standards to ensure safe driving. If your eyesight does not meet the criteria, you may be advised to seek corrective measures or additional medical evaluations before proceeding with the renewal process.
It is significant and noteworthy to be aware that there are certain scenarios in which you do not require an eye exam. For example, if an eye exam has been performed, the results are good for up to three years from the date of the exam.
Therefore, if you are moving to Dubai from Pakistan and want to renew your driver’s license for the first time, which is done after an interval of two years, you will not be required to take any kind of eye test to do so. Before applying for the renewal of your driver’s license at the optician, you need to ensure that all fines and fees have been paid.
When renewing a driver’s license in Dubai, the processing time typically takes around three to five working days on average. Here are some important points to note regarding the renewal process and temporary license:
- Provisional Driver’s License: Once you have paid the renewal costs and cleared any outstanding penalties, you will be issued a provisional driver’s license. This provisional license serves as temporary proof that you have renewed your license and can be used until the actual copy arrives.
- Waiting for the Actual License: While waiting for the physical copy of your renewed driver’s license to be delivered by mail, you have the option to take a printout of the temporary license. This printout can serve as evidence that you have completed the renewal process.
- Collection from Customer Delight Center: To save the additional cost of AED 25 associated with courier services, you have the choice to personally pick up the temporary license from a customer delight center. This allows you to receive the provisional license without any extra charges.
It’s worth mentioning that the locations listed are eye test centers in Dubai. These centers are available for individuals to undergo the required eye examination as part of the driver’s license renewal process.
Remember to check the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) website or contact their customer service helpline for the most up-to-date information on processing times, temporary licenses, and the collection process for your renewed driver’s license.
Please note that the list of eye test centers provided is not exhaustive, and there may be additional authorized centers in Dubai where you can undergo the required eye examination.
To renew your driver’s license in person, follow these steps:
- Visit the RTA Branch: Start by visiting the RTA branch located in the emirate where your current license was issued. This is where you will initiate the renewal process.
- Provide Required Documents: Present your existing driver’s license and the original Emirates ID card or any other valid identity card as requested by the authorities. These documents are essential for the renewal process.
- Age 18 and Above: If you are 18 years of age or older, you will be required to undergo certain evaluations. This includes a vision test, a blood test, and a reevaluation of your driving abilities. These tests help ensure your fitness to continue driving safely.
- Age Below 18: If you are below the age of 18, you will need to provide a medical report from your doctor in addition to your Emirates ID, current driver’s license, and their original copies. These documents are required to complete the renewal procedure.
- Allow Sufficient Time: Depending on the workload and the number of people at the agency, the renewal procedure may take approximately one to two hours. Be prepared to spend adequate time at the RTA branch.
- Issuance of New License: Once you have successfully completed the renewal process, you will be issued a new driver’s license. The new license will have an expiration date that follows the date of expiration of your previous license.
It’s important to note that the specific requirements and procedures may vary based on individual circumstances and the regulations set by the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (RTA). It is advisable to check the RTA’s official website or contact their customer service for the most accurate and up-to-date information regarding the renewal process.
To renew your driver’s license via post, follow these steps:
- Visit the RTA Website: Begin by visiting the official website of the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (RTA). Look for the section related to driver’s license renewal and download the renewal form.
- Complete the Form: Fill out the renewal form accurately and provide the necessary information. Additionally, include photocopies of your Emirates identification card, current driver’s license, and a stamped and addressed envelope. Ensure that all the required documents are enclosed with the form.
- Submit the Renewal Application: Mail the completed form, along with the required documents, to the address mentioned on the renewal form. It is important to send the application at least thirty days before your current license is due to expire.
- Application Processing: The RTA will process your renewal application after receiving it via post. The authorities will review your submission, verify the information, and check for any outstanding fines or penalties.
- Issuance of New License: If your renewal application is approved, a new driver’s license will be issued. The new license will be mailed to the address provided on the renewal form.
- Delivery Time: After submitting the application, it typically takes approximately three to four weeks for the renewed license to be delivered to you via mail.
Remember to keep track of the expiration date of your current license and submit the renewal application in a timely manner to ensure a smooth transition and avoid any gaps in your driving privileges.
It’s advisable to check the official website of the RTA or contact their customer service for the most up-to-date and accurate information regarding the driver’s license renewal process via post.
The application procedure may be completed in a short amount of time. Having said that, this may be accomplished in a variety of ways. They include customer joy centers, service centers, RTA smart kiosks, the Dubai Drive smartphone app, and the Road and Transport Authority (RTA) website.
Before going through driving license renewal in Dubai, you need to know the Dubai driving license guide. In each case, we will take you through the process in its entirety, step by step.
When renewing a driver’s license online in Dubai, it is essential to follow the proper procedures. Here are the steps you need to take, whether you are applying for a new license or renewing an existing one:
- Eye Test: Before submitting your application for license renewal, you must undergo an eye test. Visit an authorized eye testing establishment to have your eyes checked and obtain the necessary test results. This step ensures that your vision meets the required standards for safe driving.
- Clear Penalties: If there are any outstanding penalties associated with your previous license, it is your responsibility to clear them before proceeding with the renewal application. Calculate the penalties and settle them accordingly to ensure a smooth renewal process.
- Submit the Renewal Application: Once you have completed the eye test and resolved any outstanding penalties, you can proceed with submitting your driver’s license renewal application. Visit the official website of the Dubai Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) and access the online application form.
- Provide Required Information: Fill out the application form accurately, providing all the necessary information as requested. Ensure that you include your updated eye test results and any other required documents or details.
- Application Submission: After completing the online application form, submit it electronically through the RTA’s official website. Make sure to review the application for any errors or missing information before submitting.
By following these steps, you can successfully apply for the renewal of your driver’s license online in Dubai. It’s important to note that specific requirements and procedures may vary, so it is advisable to refer to the RTA’s official website or contact their customer service for the most up-to-date information and guidance related to online license renewal.
Remember to complete all necessary steps and provide accurate information to ensure a smooth and efficient renewal process.
After completing the necessary procedures, it is the customer’s responsibility to make the required payments. For clients under 21 years old, there is an additional fee of 20 AED for knowledge and innovation, on top of the standard 100 AED fee. On the other hand, for individuals older than 21, the fee increases to 300 AED, which includes an additional 20 AED for experience and creativity.
Once the payment is made, you will receive a temporary driving license via email. You can print out this temporary license and carry it with you while waiting for your permanent license to arrive. The temporary license is valid for a period of 5 to 15 working days. There are two options to obtain the temporary license: visiting a customer satisfaction center in Al Barsha or Deira, or opting for delivery by courier. However, choosing the courier option will incur an additional cost of 25 AED.
The application process for using the Dubai Drive mobile app is identical to the online procedure. The only requirement is to have a mobile phone as the driver. No additional documents or information are needed. Simply follow the instructions provided by the app to successfully renew your driver’s license.
The RTA Dubai Drive App offers a convenient way to update your driver’s license information. It is available for both Android and iOS devices, allowing you to easily access and utilize the app on your mobile device.
To renew your driver’s license and speak with an agent, you can contact the RTA contact center at 8009090.
When prompted, provide the agent with your RTA card’s driver’s number for identification purposes.
Next, use a credit card to make the necessary payment for any applicable penalties or fees. This payment will enable you to receive a temporary license via email.
The temporary license is valid for a period of 5 to 15 working days.
To obtain your permanent license, you can visit a Happiness Center located in Al Barsha or Deira.
If you prefer to have your license delivered to you, you can opt to pay the shipping charges of AED 25.
The utilization of smart kiosks, also known as self-service smart machines, has seen a significant increase in Dubai, particularly in driver’s license renewals. Many expatriates are opting to renew their licenses through various channels such as the RTA website, contact center, and smartphone applications. However, an increasing number of transactions are also being conducted through smart kiosks, providing individuals with an additional convenient and efficient option for renewing their driver’s licenses.
The process of renewing a driver’s license is the same whether you choose to visit a Service Center or use a self-service kiosk. Both options offer the same procedure and convenience. In Dubai, there are several kiosks available for renewing driver’s licenses, including:
- Customer Happiness Centre in Umm Ramool
- Customer Happiness Centre in Deira
- Customer Happiness Centre in Al Barsha
- Customer Happiness Centre in Al Manarah
- Customer Happiness Centre in Al Towar
- Customer Happiness Centre in Al Aweer
- Customer Happiness Centre in Al Kifaf
- Speed Fit
- Muhaisna Shamil
- Tasjeel Al Tawar
- Barsha Tasjeel
- Tamam Vehicle Testing
- Al Qusais Tasjeel
- Wasel Belhasa
These kiosks provide individuals with convenient locations to renew their driver’s licenses in Dubai.
To renew your driver’s license at an RTA smart self-service kiosk, follow these steps:
- Approach any RTA kiosk and select the e-service option to find the License Renewal option.
- Enter your driver’s number as instructed.
- Proceed to make the payment for the transaction fees and any applicable fines.
- Once the payment is completed, the same kiosk will print out a new original copy of your driver’s license.
Renewing your driver’s license using the RTA smart self-service kiosk offers a convenient and efficient way to complete the renewal process without the need for additional assistance.
To renew your driver’s license in Dubai at an approved optician, please follow these steps:
- Undergo an eye exam to ensure you meet the required visual standards for driving.
- Provide a copy of your passport and visa as proof of identification.
- Present your Emirates identification card (Emirates ID).
- Submit a recent passport-sized photograph of yourself.
- Make a cash payment for the license renewal fee.
After completing these steps, you will receive a provisional driver’s license within a reasonable timeframe, typically between 5 to 15 working days.
During the waiting period for your original license, you will receive a temporary license via email, which you can print out. If desired, you can also choose to have it couriered to you for a one-time fee of 25 AED or collect it from a customer joy center in Al Barsha or Deira.
It’s important to note that it is recommended to verify the specific requirements and procedures with the RTA (Roads and Transport Authority) or the optician to ensure accuracy and compliance with the latest regulations.
If there is a gap of more than ten years between renewals of your Dubai driver’s license, a monthly charge of AED 10 will be added. Delaying the renewal process can result in a maximum penalty of AED 500. If your driver’s license has not been actively used for over ten years, you will need to pass the mandatory road test in order to renew it. To avoid penalties and restrictions, it is crucial to adhere to the renewal timelines and meet the requirements for renewing your driver’s license in Dubai.
The processing time for renewing a driver’s license in Dubai is typically between three and five working days. The validity period of a driver’s license varies based on the age and nationality of the individual. It is important to note that driving without a valid or expired license can result in legal issues and financial penalties. Here are some traffic penalties in Dubai to be aware of:
- Driving without a valid license: AED 5,000 fine.
- Driving with an expired license: AED 500 fine.
- Failure to renew a license within the specified period: AED 10 per month, up to a maximum of AED 500.
- Driving with a license not suitable for the vehicle category: AED 500 fine.
- Driving without carrying the license: AED 500 fine.
- Allowing an unauthorized person to drive a vehicle: AED 500 fine.
To avoid any legal consequences or penalties, it is crucial to comply with traffic regulations and keep your driver’s license valid at all times.
Conclusion on the driving license renewal in Dubai
We hope you found the information provided about driving license renewal in Dubai to be helpful. The processes described are designed to be easy to understand and not overly complicated. The United Arab Emirates has implemented various modern options for obtaining a new driver’s license or renewing an existing one, ensuring convenience and peace of mind for its citizens. If you have any further questions, we recommend contacting the relevant authorities or visiting their official website for the most accurate and up-to-date information.
Those who travel often or who have a Dubai work visa and permit issued by the Emirate of Dubai are also strongly encouraged to get an international driver’s license (IDL). Also, Dubai is a wonderful city to love. We suggest you buy a house in Dubai to experience a good life. Iland Real Estate is here to help you in this regard.
FAQs about driving license renewal in Dubai
Let’s provide answers to frequently asked questions on the renewal of driving licenses in Dubai.
The Roads and Transport Authority of Dubai (RTA) recommends updating your driver’s license every five years, even if it is in good standing.
If your driver’s license in Dubai has been lost, stolen, or compromised, it is important to notify the police and have it documented in the general notebook. After that, you need to report the incident to the RTA of Dubai, which can be done through their website. Additionally, you can also renew your license electronically through the RTA website.
Expat minors in Dubai are eligible to renew their driver’s licenses.
If you are unable to pass the re-examination for your driver’s license in Dubai, you will need to apply for a learner’s permit to undergo driving lessons.
Commercial drivers in Dubai are required to personally visit the RTA to renew their licenses. Renewal cannot be done through mail or online channels.
The cost of renewing your driver’s license in Dubai depends on your current license type and the emirate you are applying from.
To change your driver’s license in Dubai due to a recent name or residence change, you will need to visit the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) in person to submit an application.
For first-time applicants, a personal appearance at the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) in Dubai is required to complete the license application process.
To be eligible for a driver’s license in Dubai, you must meet the following criteria:
- Age Requirement: You must be at least 18 years old to apply for a driver’s license in Dubai.
- Valid Driving License: You should have a valid driving license from your home country or any recognized international driving license. It should be free of any major traffic violations or suspensions.
These are the basic requirements, but it’s important to note that additional criteria and procedures may apply depending on your specific circumstances and the type of license you are applying for. It is recommended to consult the relevant authorities, such as the Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) in Dubai, for detailed information and guidance on obtaining a driver’s license in Dubai.
To obtain a driver’s license in Dubai, there are several documents and requirements you need to fulfill. These include:
- Valid UAE ID: You will need a valid Emirates ID, which is an identification card issued by the UAE government.
- Valid Passport: A valid passport is required for identification purposes.
- Certificate of Good Conduct: You may be required to provide a certificate of good conduct or police clearance from your home country or previous place of residence. This certificate verifies that you have a clean criminal record.
- Health Report: You will need to obtain a health report from an authorized medical center or hospital. This report confirms that you are medically fit to drive.
- Certificate of Eyesight: A certificate of eyesight, usually issued by an authorized optician or eye clinic, is required to assess your visual acuity and ensure that your vision meets the required standards for driving.
- Medical Exam: You will be required to undergo a medical examination conducted by a registered medical professional. This exam assesses your overall health and fitness to drive.